Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin essential for healthy skin and eyes.
Benefits of Vitamin A
- Healthy eyes- Improves vision, lower risks of night blindness and cataracts
- Healthy bone growth
- Healthy skin- Helps to keep your skin from free radicals and toxins keeping it soft.
- Acne Killer- Reduced secretion of sebum also reduces acne breakouts.
- Prevent urinary stones
- Lowers blood cholesterol level lowering risks of heart disease and stroke
- Strengthen immunity of body- Lympocytic reacts against disease producing antigens. Mucous membrane are kept moist to ensure better immunity and to enhance the activities of white blood cells.
Sources of Vitamin A
Vitamin A can be obtain from natural sources or in the form of capsules.
Natural sources of Vitamin A includes : Eggs, Livers, Fish Liver oil, Pumpkin,Sweet Potatoes, Spinach,Broccoli
Vitamin A capsules usually comes in form of 5000IU or 10000 IU.
Do note not to take more than 10000IU per day as it may lead to toxicity which will result in vomiting, dizziness and headache.
Recommended Intake Amount of Vitamin A
To meet the recommended amount of Vitamin A, Dietary guidelines recommends 3 cups of dark green leafy vegetables + 2 cups of Orange Vegetable and Fruits
It is important to consume the recommended amount of Vitamin A as deficiency in Vitamin A will result in night blindness, decreased immune ability, reproduction problems and scaly skins.